Prepare For Your Counseling Session
Start preparing for a productive meeting with a HUD Certified Housing Counselor by making a set of copies of the following documents. Most counselors will require you to submit these documents before he/she can meet with you unless you have received a Notice of Trustee Sale, which is an urgent matter and you should see a counselor as soon as possible. Contact one of our counselors today to learn more about your options to avoid foreclosure.
What You Will Need
Exactly what you will need to provide your mortgage company to apply for mortgage assistance varies somewhat from program to program and from servicer to servicer– but they all require documentation on your loan, your finances and your circumstances. To maximize your options, you will need to gather this documentation as quickly and completely as you can. You will need to download, fill out and copy several forms that you will find on this website. And you will need to compile all your forms and documents into an organized file that your housing counselor or mortgage servicer can understand and evaluate. To apply for help be prepared to provide:
- Monthly mortgage statements
- Information about other mortgages on your home, if applicable
- Two most recent pay stubs for all household members contributing toward the mortgage payment
- Last two years of federal tax returns
- If self-employed, the most recent quarterly or year-to-date profit and loss statement
- Documentation of income you receive from other sources (alimony, child support, social security, etc.)
- Two most recent bank statements
- A utility bill showing homeowner name and property address
- Unemployment insurance letter, if applicable
- Account balances and minimum monthly payments due on all of your credit cards
- Information about your savings and other assets
- It may also be helpful to have: A letter describing any circumstances that caused your income to be reduced or expenses to be increased (job loss, divorce, illness, etc.)
In addition, you need to complete and present the following forms:
What are my options to avoid foreclosure?
Step 1: Assess Your Situation
Have you missed a payment? If so, contact one of our HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies.
Choose an organization
- Asian, Inc.
- Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA)
- San Francisco Housing Development Corporation (SFHDC)
Step 2: Gather Your Information
Having all your documents compiled ahead of time will help make your appointment go smoothly.