Affordable Homeownership Opportunities
The San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development Below Market Rate (“BMR”) Inclusionary Housing Program requires some developers to sell or rent 12% or more of units in new developments at a “below market rate” price that is affordable to lower or middle income households
Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco offers homes at no profit with 0 percent interest and $ 0 down payment. Approved homeowners qualify for a monthly housing payment (mortgage, property tax, insurance, HOA fee if applicable) equal to 30% of their monthly income. Since 1989, they have built more than 200 homes in San Francisco, Marin, and San Mateo Counties.
The San Francisco Community Land Trust creates permanently affordable, resident-controlled housing for low- to moderate-income people in San Francisco through community ownership of the land.
Mortgage Assistance Programs
The San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development offers the following programs to assist you in the purchase of a first home in San Francisco.
- First Responders Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (FRDALP) - Provides downpayment assistance loans to active uniformed, sworn members of the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD), San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) and San Francisco Sheriff's Department (SFSD) to purchase their first home in the City and County of San Francisco.
- Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (DALP) - A loan program for low to moderate income first time homebuyers purchasing a market rate single family home in San francisco. DALP is a silent second loan that requires no payments for 30 years.
- City Second Loan Program - A loan program for eligible first time homebuyers purchasing a home within specific developments that has no interest and deferred payment. This loan sits in second position on title after the first mortgage and can be repaid at any time without penalty.
- Teacher Next Door Program (TND) - A loan program to assist teachers employed with the San Francisco Unified School District in purchasing a first home in San Francisco. This loan is forgiven after 10 years provided all program requirements are met. Can be used in the purchase of a BMR unit.
- Mortgage Credit Certificate Program (MCC) - A program to assist first time homebuyers in San Francisco. An MCC assists eligible homebuyers in their ability to qualify for a mortgage loan and reduce thier effective mortgage interest rate. Can be used in the purchase of a BMR unit.
- Reissue Mortgage Credit Certificate Program (RMCC) - IRS regulations allow exisitng recipients of MCCs to refinance their original mortgage loans on their principal residence and obtain a new MCC with a tax credit at the same rate as their original MCC.
- BMR-DALP Downpayment Assistance Program - A downpayment loan program for first time home buyers purchasing a Below Market Rate unit that requires no monthly payment and accrues no interest.
- Refinancing and Subordination - Eligible City loans or Below Market Rate (BMR) liens can be subordinated to the refinance of the existing first mortgage for a lower interest rate and better loan term with no cash equity out of the property.
CalHFA offers a variety of loan programs to help you purchase a home in California.
FIRST MORTGAGE PROGRAMS
- CalHFA Conventional Loan Program The CalHFA Conventional program is a first mortgage loan insured through private mortgage insurance on the conventional market. The interest rate on the CalHFA Conventional is fixed throughout the 30-year term.
- CalPLUS Conventional Loan Program The CalPLUS Conventional program is a conventional first mortgage with a slightly higher fixed interest rate than our standard conventional program. This loan is fully amortized for a 30-year term and is combined with the CalHFA Zero Interest Program (ZIP) for closing costs.
- CalHFA FHA Loan Program The CalHFA FHA program is an FHA-insured loan featuring a CalHFA fixed interest rate first mortgage. This loan is fully amortized for a 30-year term.
- CalPLUS FHA Loan Program The CalPLUS FHA program is an FHA-insured first mortgage with a slightly higher fixed interest rate than our standard FHA program. This loan is fully amortized for a 30-year term and is combined with the CalHFA Zero Interest Program (ZIP) for closing costs.
- Cal-EEM + Grant Program The Cal-EEM + Grant program combines an FHA-insured Energy Efficient Mortgage first mortgage loan with an additional Cal-EEM Grant, making energy efficient improvements even easier. The interest rate on the Cal-EEM is fixed throughout the 30-year term.
DOWN PAYMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
- MyHome Assistance Program Offers a deferred-payment junior loan of an amount up to the lesser of three and half percent (3.5%) of the purchase price or appraised value to assist with down payment and/or closing costs.
- Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase Program (ECTP) This program is for teachers, administrators, school district employees and staff members working for any California K-12 public school, which includes Charter schools and county/continuation schools. Applicants must also be first-time homebuyers. Offers a deferred-payment junior loan of an amount not to exceed the greater of $7,500 or 3.5% of the sales price or in CalHFA-defined high cost areas an amount not to exceed the greater of $15,000 or 3.5% of the sales price. Assistance can be used for down payment and/or closing costs.